Portugal is among the 6 most powerful passports in the world
The latest report “Henley Passport Index 2023 rankings” places Portugal alongside countries such as France, Ireland and United Kingdom.
The annual Index from global residency and citizenship consultancy Henley & Partners uses exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) to rank the world’s 199 passports. It is based on the number of destinations that its holders can access without a visa.
Updated quarterly, the Henley Passport Index is considered the standard reference tool for global citizens and sovereign states when assessing where a passport ranks on the global mobility spectrum.
If no visa is required, the country scores 1 point for your passport. This applies if citizens are able to obtain a visa on arrival, visitor permit or electronic travel authority (ETA) upon entering the destination. When a visa is required or the passport holder needs to obtain a government-approved electronic visa prior to departure, the passport is assigned a score of 0.
The best passports to hold in 2023, according to the Henley Passport Index
1. Japan (193 destinations)
2. Singapore, South Korea (192 destinations)
3. Germany, Spain (190 destinations)
4. Finland, Italy, Luxembourg (189 destinations)
5. Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden (188 destinations)
6. Portugal, France, Ireland, United Kingdom (187 destinations)
7. Belgium, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, United States, Czech Republic (186 destinations)
8. Australia, Canada, Greece, Malta (185 destinations)
9. Hungary, Poland (184 destinations)
10. Lithuania, Slovakia (183 destinations)